202 Squadron Association
202 Squadron was formed as part of the creation of the Royal Air Force on the 1st April 1918. Its actual creation began on 17th October 1914 when, No. 2 Squadron Royal Naval Air Service was formed at Eastchurch in England. During the first world war, as No. 2 Squadron, it served from bases in Belgium and France, mainly in Photo Reconnaissance and bombing roles.
As No 202 Squadron, they were based at Bergues in France until it moved to Varssenaere in Belgium on the 18th November 1918. The Squadron's primary role at this time was reconnaissance and spotting duties in and around the Belgian coastal areas. No 2 Sqn RNAS had been equipped with de Havilland (Airco) DH.4 aircraft and, at the time of the transition, these were transferred to 202 Squadron's inventory. A number of de Havilland DH.9 aircraft were delivered to the Squadron during May of 1918. However, this variant must have been unpopular with the pilots, as they were returned to the depot, and the squadron reverted back to the DH.4 variant.
By the middle of September 1918, the offensive was stepping up and 202 Squadron was involved in forward reconnaissance, searching for the enemies rear-
The Squadron received its first Battle Honour during this period, for service on the
Click on a button to go to any point in the timeline or, just follow sequentially